AMPK is a key sensor and regulator of energy charge that is activated by low energy state such as exercise and caloric restriction. The good health effects of eating less and exercising more are in part mediated by activation of the enzyme AMPK in cells of the body. The aim with pharmacological activation of AMPK is to mimic the beneficial effects of a healthy lifestyle.
Pharmacological activation of AMPK mimics the good effects of exercise & caloric restriction;
- Increases uptake and converts sugar and fat into energy – Reduces blood sugar and fat
- Increases blood flow to deliver of sugar, fat & oxygen to tissues
- Improves heart function – Similar to exercise
- Improves mitochondrial function – The cellular power station
- Preserves and repairs – Recycles damaged cellular components and repairs cells